Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Monster's diversity

So I'm posting my résumé to monster.com (hello to prospective employers that have googled me), and come across this interesting option to mark myself as a "diversity candidate".


Clicking on the link I see:

Monster is used by thousands of companies that recognize the benefits of workforce diversity. They are actively recruiting qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds including race, gender, 50+ workers, disability status, and lifestyle preference. By selecting the Monster and Diversity checkbox option you will make your resume public to employers searching the diversity and inclusion resume databases.

It doesn't come out and say it, but I think I know what it means: caucasian, heterosexual males under 50 years with no disabilities can be discriminated against. Everyone else is "diverse".

What if an employer wanted to limit searches to causasian males -- that would be wrong, right? Why is it okay to discriminate in the other direction? What would Martin Luther King think, with his dream that people would "not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character"?

Of course, there's nothing stopping a "non-diverse" candidate from checking the box. So maybe that makes it all okay.

No comments: